Definition of aconite in English:
1A poisonous plant of the buttercup family, bearing hooded pink or purple flowers and found in temperate regions of the northern hemisphere.
- This would allow for the use of a variety of familiar medicinal herbs, including poisonous plants like aconite.
- Other plants in the fragrant garden include a cherry plum which is allegedly a remedy for stress and anxiety and aconite, a toxic plant which in small doses is claimed to be good for colds.
- Saturn also rules over many of the herbs that are potentially poisonous or toxic (eg., aconite, helleborus, nightshade).
1.1 [mass noun] An extract of aconite, used as a poison or in pharmacy.
- The Three Arterial Sedatives: veratrum, aconite and gelsemium.
- In fact baking or cooking for a long time in pressurized hot water can help to neutralize the toxic aconitum in raw aconite.
- In the Book of Venoms, he listed arsenic, aconite, hellebore, laurel, opium, bryony, mandrake, leopard's gall, and menstrual blood.
2 (also winter aconite) A small herbaceous Eurasian plant, cultivated for its yellow flowers in early spring.
- Genus Eranthis, family Ranunculaceae: several species
- Pack spaces with spring bulbs - aconites, miniature daffodils, little tulips - anything you fancy.
- One of the earliest is the winter aconite Eranthis hymalis, whose little rounded yellow flowers start appearing shortly after New Year.
- Here there's a nice 1898 Arts and Crafts style house, sheltered by beech copses with kettle nest boxes and carpeted yellow by winter aconites.
Mid 16th century: via French and Latin from Greek akoniton.
Definition of aconite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.