The most prestigious dialect or variety of a particular language. Contrasted with basilect.
More example sentences
- In Belize the basilect is what we call ‘broad Kriol’, the acrolect could be called Belizean English.
- The acrolect is often European, reflecting the history of colonization, but this is not always the case.
- Basilects and acrolects require some form, but mesolects require none.
1960s: from Greek akron 'summit' + -lect as in dialect.
- More example sentences
- They are arranged along a post-creole continuum which has acrolectal (those varieties closest to the superstrate) at one end and basilectal (those varieties furthest from it) at the other.
- This study focuses on the loan terms which occur in both this basic form and its acrolectal counterpart.
- Even within noun morphology, acrolectal features are in most cases counterbalanced by a wider occurrence of basi-and mesolectal features, especially as for the personal pronoun system.
More definitions of acrolectDefinition of acrolect in:
- The US English dictionary