Definition of acrolect in English:
The most prestigious dialect or variety of a particular language. Contrasted with basilect.
- In Belize the basilect is what we call ‘broad Kriol’, the acrolect could be called Belizean English.
- The acrolect is often European, reflecting the history of colonization, but this is not always the case.
- Basilects and acrolects require some form, but mesolects require none.
1960s: from Greek akron 'summit' + -lect as in dialect.
- Example sentences
- They are arranged along a post-creole continuum which has acrolectal (those varieties closest to the superstrate) at one end and basilectal (those varieties furthest from it) at the other.
- This study focuses on the loan terms which occur in both this basic form and its acrolectal counterpart.
- Even within noun morphology, acrolectal features are in most cases counterbalanced by a wider occurrence of basi-and mesolectal features, especially as for the personal pronoun system.
Definition of acrolect in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan