Definition of acropetal in English:
1(Of growth or development) upwards from the base or point of attachment. The opposite of basipetal.
- These features might be partly associated with the acropetal development of the terminal inflorescence.
- The Alismataceae have acropetal leaf development.
- Sepal initiation began on the basal lateral flower and continued in an acropetal direction until all floral meristems had completed sepal initiation.
1.1(Of the movement of dissolved substances) outwards towards the shoot and root apices.
- In every case, the basipetal movement was greater than the acropetal movement.
- It is not clear whether this acropetal increase of flower meristem identity is related to the acropetal loss of the SD suppression.
- Xylem flow carries the transpiration stream and is normally entirely acropetal.
- Example sentences
- On each plant, leaves were identified on day 0 according to their nodal position with respect to the youngest fully expanded leaf, L0, and numbered acropetally, L1, L2, etc.
- The abaxial surface of the wings bears hairs that are directed acropetally to the awn/wing interface and then become oriented towards the tip of the wing.
- The floral meristems are formed acropetally and are initiated on the periphery of the inflorescence meristem, being protected by bracts.
Definition of acropetal in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan