Definition of acrophobia in English:
Extreme or irrational fear of heights.
- Carla develops acrophobia (fear of heights), which makes it difficult for her to take elevators, park her car, or do flagpole sitting.
- For example, a person may have several spirits of acrophobia (fear of heights).
- Less common is acrophobia, ‘fear of heights‘; this derives from the Greek ‘akros’ for a thing that is topmost, or at the tip or extremity of something.
- Example sentences
- Mark is acrophobic and allergic to nuts as well as mushrooms.
- I'm pathologically acrophobic, so it was always extremely difficult for me.
- A high school reunion is pretty much about nothing but memory, so it's like an acrophobic going skydiving.
Late 19th century: from Greek akron 'summit' + -phobia.
Definition of acrophobia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.