Definition of acropolis in English:
1A citadel or fortified part of an ancient Greek city, typically one built on a hill.
- General warfare did not immediately follow the Spartan seizure of the Theban acropolis, but diplomatic initiatives increased in intensity.
- So, he and some of his men, and a large crowd of locals, all made their way to the acropolis and the wagon.
- This area was one of the first spots in the region in being inhabited and to become a town, only equaled by the acropolis of Tiryns and Mycenae.
1.1 (the Acropolis) The ancient citadel at Athens, containing the Parthenon and other notable buildings, mostly dating from the 5th century bc.
- Pericles was the force behind many of the buildings on the acropolis, including the Parthenon itself.
- If you have the time, you should take a donkey ride up to the ancient acropolis, with its restored Temple of Athena inside the Knights ' Castle.
- The NationalGeographic Society made a generous contribution toward the excavation of the acropolis and the theater.
Definition of acropolis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia