1 Grammar A noun or noun phrase involved in the action expressed by a verb.
- The first metafunction consists of an underlying semantic structure or logical form describing relations between actants fulfilling roles in a process (verb or predicate).
- We use the term ‘valence’ to describe semantically an actant of the verb, i. e., to describe the semantic role of the actant.
- Transitive verbs typically have actants that play thematic semantic roles.
2(In literary theory) a person, creature, or object playing any of a set of active roles in a narrative.
- Successful actor-networks are built by enrolling the heterogeneous actants as active participants in a common project.
- As Swapan Chakravorty has observed, the characters in A Chaste Maid in Cheapside are the result of a ‘shuffling [of] the old actants and indices’ of Middleton's earlier plays.
- These four steps describe the interactions between three actants (abstract representations of characters and their functions): the Subject, the Object and the Sender.
Definition of actant in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.