- A sea anemone.More example sentences
- However, actinians, like all coelenterates, capture and digest animal prey with their nematocysts.
- Even on reefs, most species of host actinians are inconspicuous, unlike their partner fish.
- The larger, more conspicuous include other species of cold-water coral, actinians and sponges.
mid 18th century: from the modern Latin genus name Actinia (from Greek aktis, aktin- 'ray') + -an.
More definitions of actinianDefinition of actinian in:
- The US English dictionary