Definition of actinomorphic in English:
Characterized by radial symmetry, such as a starfish or the flower of a daisy. Compare with zygomorphic.
- Determining the orientation of an actinomorphic flower seems impossible in ebractate taxa.
- The large, showy flowers are actinomorphic, with a bowl-shaped corolla made up of 5-8 pinkish-red petals.
- This group is composed by eight species belonging to four families with nectarless, dish-shaped and actinomorphic flowers, which are showy, and yellow- or pink-colored.
- Example sentences
- If all parts are equally spaced around the centre, the flowers are radially symmetrical, a condition termed actinomorphy.
- According to the theory, the primeval features are: actinomorphy, hermaphroditic polymer flower with an apocarpous gynoeceum.
- The presence of five stamens is always associated with actinomorphy (radial symmetry) of the corolla (Ramonda, Thamnocharis, Bournea, Tengia, Conandron, Bellonia, Napeanthus p.p.).
Definition of actinomorphic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.