A bacterium of an order of typically non-motile filamentous forms. They include streptomycetes, and were formerly regarded as fungi.
- Order Actinomycetales; Gram-positive
More example sentences
- In the composting process, the tissues of carcasses are broken down aerobically by bacteria, fungi, actinomycetes, and protozoa to produce water vapor, carbon dioxide, heat, and a stabilized organic residue.
- Many antibiotics come from bacteria, actinomycetes, and fungi.
- Actinomycosis is a chronic infection caused by various bacteria called actinomycetes.
1920s (originally only in the plural): modern Latin, from Greek aktis, aktin- 'ray' + mukētes, plural of mukēs 'fungus'.
Definition of actinomycete in:
- The US English dictionary