- The change in electrical potential associated with the passage of an impulse along the membrane of a muscle cell or nerve cell.More example sentences
- An outstanding example of the success of this approach is the experimental analysis of the resting potential and the action potential (nerve impulse) by Hodgkin and colleagues in the late 1940s.
- During transduction, potassium floods into the hair cell, depolarising the cell and triggering an action potential in the associated cochlear neurones.
- The latter is known to be due to the fact that hypocalcemia prolongs the duration of phase two of the action potential of cardiac muscle.
More definitions of action potentialDefinition of action potential in:
- The US English dictionary