noun[mass noun] Medicine
- An antiviral drug used chiefly in the treatment of herpes and AIDS. Also called Zovirax ( • trademark ).More example sentences
- Treatment has entered a new era with the development of anti-viral drugs starting with acyclovir, which is beneficial if started in the first 3 days of the illness.
- Bladder infections caused by the herpes virus are usually treated with antiviral drugs such as acyclovir.
- There is some benefit from the anti viral drug acyclovir and aggressive anti-pain management, but prevention would be better.
1970s: from acycl(ic) + vir(al DNA).
More definitions of acyclovirDefinition of acyclovir in:
- The US English dictionary