Definition of adiabatic in English:
1Relating to or denoting a process or condition in which heat does not enter or leave the system concerned: the adiabatic expansion of a perfect gas
More example sentences
- This is what makes the air cooler higher up: the process is called adiabatic expansion/compression.
- The quantum and classical Carnot engines therefore operate in the same way - a closed cycle of two isothermal and two adiabatic processes.
- Working closely with environmental engineers, Arup New York, it settled on a passive climate controlled system known as adiabatic cooling, which takes advantage of the hot arid climate.
nounBack to top
- Example sentences
- Most current machines can therefore rely on inertial cooling - in other words the components are simply allowed to heat up adiabatically and then cooled slowly between pulses.
- The latter ensures that a ‘fossil record’ of any heating or cooling is kept even if the gas subsequently changes its pressure adiabatically (under energy conservation).
- The batch of mantle ascends adiabatically, whereas the geotherm becomes conductive.
Definition of adiabatic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan