Definition of aerenchyma in English:
noun[mass noun] Botany
A soft plant tissue containing air spaces, found especially in many aquatic plants.
- Oxygen transport from above-ground parts to roots of wetland plants is facilitated by aerenchyma.
- Fusoid cells are characteristically found only in bamboos, and have been considered as aerenchyma tissues.
- In waterlogged soils, plants strongly influence soil oxygen availability by transporting oxygen through aerenchyma to soils.
late 19th century: from Greek aēr 'air' + enkhuma 'infusion'.
- Example sentences
- Multi-layered exodermis encircled the aerenchymatous cortex with air cavities.
- Aerenchyma and aerenchymatous adventitious roots are formed.
- Their roots are thus more open to aerenchymatous modification through secondary growth.
Definition of aerenchyma in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan