Definition of aestivation in English:
1 Zoology Prolonged torpor or dormancy of an insect, fish, or amphibian during a hot or dry period.
- During winter months and aestivation periods, mussels will burrow into the substrate until only the apertures are protruding.
- By shutting down their intestinal tracts during estivation, these anurans reduce their daily energy expenditure.
- The period of aestivation is around eight months, though some experts claim that they can remain underground for more than five years.
2 Botany The arrangement of petals and sepals in a flower bud before it opens. Compare with vernation.
- Prior to the aestivation of the calyx, pairs of stamen primordia are initiated.
- Aestivation of the calyx is cochlear descending, which is a new character within Ingeae.
- Just as commonly, petal aestivation was observed to be entirely imbricate.
Definition of aestivation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan