Definition of affine in English:
Allowing for or preserving parallel relationships.
- Using parallelograms to define affine transformations may be a mixed blessing.
- Our interest is in the space of affine equivalence classes of equal-area polygons.
- The simplest way to see why this assertion is true is to observe that any triangle in the plane can be mapped by an invertible affine transformation to an equilateral triangle.
nounAnthropology Back to top
A relative by marriage.
- They were sisters, mothers, daughters, affines, rather than simply women in groups.
- Finally the ‘deceased wife's sister’ law was belatedly reformed in 1906, although marriage between such affines as adoptive parents and children, and adoptive siblings, remained within the prohibited degrees.
- When a dying person breathes his/her last breath, close relatives, normally affines, wash and put new clothes on the body.
Definition of affine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan