noun (plural agents provocateurs pronunc. same)
- A person employed to induce others to break the law so that they can be convicted.More example sentences
- A year later, four were hanged, even as evidence emerged revealing that the bomb may have been thrown by an agent provocateur in the employ of the police.
- These agents provocateurs broke windows and carried out other acts of violence before turning on the other demonstrators, firing their weapons and making arrests.
- It employed agents provocateurs to lure people into unwise utterances.
late 19th century: French, literally 'provocative agent'.
More definitions of agent provocateurDefinition of agent provocateur in:
- The US English dictionary