Definition of agrarian in English:
1Relating to cultivated land or the cultivation of land: Brazil is rapidly diversifying its agrarian economy
More example sentences
- According to Minister of Economy Nikolai Vassilev, agrarian land has been separated into 25 million parts.
- In brief, Kuznets argued that a simple agrarian economy should generally exhibit low income levels and little inequality across groups.
- The world as a whole needs to remain primarily agrarian - but if agriculture is just a business, then the fewer on the land, the better.
1.1Relating to landed property: the agrarian reforms
More example sentences
- His agrarian reforms, especially those against large property, made him unpopular among the bourgeoisie.
- Moreover, why measure pre-Second World War income inequality via the distribution of agrarian property and the quality of human capital?
- Oddly, the elected government's plan included agrarian reforms and programs of aid to peasants and workers against the wishes of the upper classes and ‘foreign enterprises.’
nounBack to top
A person who advocates a redistribution of landed property.
- Political groupings include former communists, socialists, agrarians, liberals, nationalists and various centrist and independent forces.
- There are social democrats, agrarians and other parties in the movement.
- Social conservatives, fiscal conservatives, libertarians, agrarians, communitarians, foreign-policy hawks - who can figure them out?
Early 17th century (originally denoting a Roman law for the division of conquered lands): from Latin agrarius, from ager, agr- 'field'.
Words that rhyme with agrarianantiquarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, Aryan, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, establishmentarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, Hanoverian, humanitarian, Hungarian, latitudinarian, libertarian, librarian, majoritarian, millenarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, totalitarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, utilitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan