- A hinged surface in the trailing edge of an aeroplane wing, used to control the roll of an aircraft about its longitudinal axis.More example sentences
- Each wing has a single aileron surface on the trailing edge to control roll and two flaps to control lift and drag.
- The other intuitive reaction is to attempt to roll the aircraft with ailerons to level the wings.
- Put the palm of your hand against the bottom of the leading edge of the aileron at each hinge and push up.
early 20th century: from French, literally 'small wing', diminutive of aile, from Latin ala 'wing'.
More definitions of aileronDefinition of aileron in:
- The US English dictionary