- 1An air-filled bladder or sac found in certain animals and plants.More example sentences
- The lack of an air bladder enables the fish to rest on the bottom, thus occupying tidepools of variable depth.
- Key variations are in the shape of the animal's skull, jaw muscles, air bladder - which fish use to rise and sink in water - and, perhaps most noticeably, the wispy barbels, or whiskers, around its mouth.
- Like other darters, this species lacks an air bladder to aid flotation, so it scoots or darts along stream bottoms in short, erratic bursts, attacking and dispatching prey before encamping (albeit briefly) on the bottom again.
- 1.1 another term for swim bladder.
More definitions of air bladderDefinition of air bladder in:
- The US English dictionary