1A cavity containing air.
- Mr Bullimore sheltered in a tiny air pocket under the boat, 2,500 km from Australia, suffering from hypothermia, dehydration and frostbite but survived against all the odds.
- He followed the TV show's advice, kept his head, saw an air pocket behind him, pulled himself into the back of the car and, with water up to his chin, waited an agonising 25 minutes for help.
- ‘I was held under for five minutes with just a small air pocket,’ he says.
1.1A region of low pressure causing an aircraft to lose height suddenly.
- Hlava was on a plane that hit an air pocket and dropped 5,000 feet in a matter of seconds.
- The rhythmic rocking of the plane lulled her to sleep until the plane hit an air pocket and threatened to knock them all out of their seats.
- She sidled out of the small space, and just as she reached the end, there was a lurch as the plane hit an air pocket and she started to fall.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: air pocket
Definition of air pocket in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.