Definition of air sac in English:
1A lung compartment containing air; an alveolus.
- This prohibits us from observing and analyzing the dynamic changes of the entire air sac.
- Each air sac is surrounded by elastic fibers that help the lung recoil after inspiratory stretching.
- When lungs are damaged by tobacco the crimping elastic cells surrounding each air sac are broken and lungs become over inflated.
1.1An extension of a bird’s lung cavity into a bone or other part of the body.
- All birds have an extensive air sac system in the thorax and abdomen.
- The lung / air sac system of birds profoundly affects their physiology.
- The two researchers examined the air sac systems of some 200 modern birds and identified specific patterns showing which air sacs are found in which bones.
Definition of air sac in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia