1The passage by which air reaches a person’s lungs: he kept the man’s airway clear and blood circulating
More example sentences
- Preliminary studies show these compounds improve the flow of mucus through the respiratory tract, allowing airways to clear more quickly and efficiently.
- Infiltration of the large and small airways with eosinophils, neutrophils, plasma cells, and lymphocytes is common.
- In patients with severe trauma, airway compromise is a cause of prehospital death that can be prevented and simple airway manoeuvres can clear the airway to provide vital oxygenation.
1.1A tube for supplying air to a person’s lungs in an emergency.
- A high incidence of middle ear complications from hyperbaric oxygen therapy has been described in patients with artificial airways.
- Gastric inflation is a dangerous complication of using laryngeal mask airways in advanced life support
- The review uncovered a wide range of research relating to the practice of suctioning adults with an artificial airway.
2A recognized route followed by aircraft.
- Tip 6 Use a bright marking pen to lay out your course on the sectional chart, even if it's following an airway - they all look the same.
- Keep your aircraft perpendicular to an airway when crossing it.
- The Short Empire flying boats were extremely successful aircraft that helped extend the airways to all corners of the British empire.
2.1 (Airways) In names of airlines: British Airways
More example sentences
- US Airways and American Airlines have put fares on sale for travel to and from New York.
- The Airline Group consists of British Airways, British Midland, Virgin Atlantic, easyJet, Monarch Airlines, Britannia Airways and Airtours.
- The airline has so-called code-sharing agreements with Delta Air, Alitalia, Garuda Indonesia, Thai Airways and Vietnam Airlines.
3A ventilating passage in a mine.
- After work stopped about 2pm Birrell and Nasmyth made their examination, and then appear to have travelled to the shaft by the return airway.
- East section is separated from other sections of the Colliery by a fault across which there are only two roads, one the intake and haulage road, and the other the return airway.
- In an intake airway of a coal mine a locomotive was pushing a single materials vehicle.
Words that rhyme with airwayfairway, stairway
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: air¦way
Definition of airway in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.