Definition of aitch in English:
The letter H.
- The dropping of aitches is widespread and is generally considered substandard.
- But he also drops some of his aitches, so he'll say ‘orse for horse, and that's something that doesn't usually happen in Scotland.
- To describe the noise, I've tried every combination of vowels and aitches.
mid 16th century: from Old French ache.
drop one's aitches
- Fail to pronounce the letter h at the beginning of words, a characteristic feature of certain dialects.Example sentences
- Are we the only ones who drop our aitches and do we really say ‘were’ instead of ` was’.
- If a policeman writes in why does he have to drop his aitches and sound gruff and arrogant?
- When the soldier speaks he drops his aitches and several other letters.
Definition of aitch in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan