noun (plural alderflies)
- A brownish fly-like insect that lives near water and has predatory aquatic larvae.
More example sentences
- Family Sialidae, order Neuroptera: several genera
- Larvae of alderflies differ from hellgrammites in that they lack the two hooks at the end of the abdomen.
- This is a very small order of Australian insects commonly known as alderflies and dobsonflies.
- The alderfly larvae, known to all and coveted by fish and anglers alike, is the hellgrammite.
More definitions of alderflyDefinition of alderfly in:
- The US English dictionary