- The first letter of the Hebrew alphabet.More example sentences
- Lamentations 3 is an acrostic on the Hebrew alphabet, each letter given three lines: three alephs, three beths, three gimmels, and so on.
- So God compensates him by making the aleph the first letter of the word for God.
- In another classic instance of more-is-less, Prior, who was jolted by a sudden vision of a neon aleph in Part I, is now shown the better part of the Hebrew alphabet.
Middle English: from Hebrew 'ālep̱, literally 'ox' (the character in Phoenician and ancient Hebrew possibly being derived from a hieroglyph of an ox's head).
More definitions of alephDefinition of aleph in:
- The US English dictionary