noun[mass noun] Botany
- Protein stored as granules in the cells of plant seeds: [as modifier]: aleurone grainsMore example sentences
- Details of endosperm mobilization and aleurone cell death were first described in the nineteenth century by Haberlandt.
- Expression was more obvious in aleurone cells, the endosperm cells lining the maternal seed coat.
- Endosperm refers to the rest of the seed, i.e. the seed coat, pericarp, aleurone layer, and starchy endosperm.
mid 19th century: from Greek aleuron 'flour'.
More definitions of aleuroneDefinition of aleurone in:
- The US English dictionary