Definition of aliasing in English:
1 Physics & Telecommunications The misidentification of a signal frequency, introducing distortion or error: high-frequency sounds are prone to aliasing
More example sentences
- Analog signals are usually low-pass filtered to remove most or all of the components above the Nyquist frequency in order to avoid aliasing.
- Optical signals were low-pass filtered at 500 Hz to prevent aliasing.
- Any component of a sampled signal with a frequency above this limit is subject to aliasing.
2 Computing The use of aliases to designate files, commands, addresses, or other items.
- As mentioned earlier, the host machine assumes multiple IP addresses using IP aliasing.
- Members of the system pay £3 a month for free reception and transmission of internet mail, mail forwarding and mail aliasing.
- Groff also allows for the aliasing of troff commands, macros and variables to provide alternative names for existing ones.
3 Computing The distortion of a reproduced image so that curved or inclined lines appear inappropriately jagged, caused by the mapping of a number of points to the same pixel.
- A rasterized image of the view from the light's position was rendered, and sampling errors occurred, including jagged edges and aliasing.
- The visual transfer is clear and colorful, but vertical lines still demonstrate some aliasing (they often look like stair steps).
- Otherwise, the graphics are smooth and free of annoying graphical glitches like glaring aliasing or slowdown.
Definition of aliasing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.