(also alisphenoid bone)
nounAnatomy & Zoology
- A wing-like cartilaginous bone within a mammal’s skull forming part of the socket of the eye.More example sentences
- The outer wall of the braincase becomes the alisphenoid and the dermal skull bones.
- As a reminder, the pterygoid is a dermal bone; and the alisphenoid is retreaded epipterygoid which traces its ultimate origin to the palatoquadrate and the gill arch series.
- Posteromedial to the glenoid surface, the foramen ovale opens in the alisphenoid.
mid 19th century: from Latin ala 'wing' + sphenoid.
More definitions of alisphenoidDefinition of alisphenoid in:
- The US English dictionary