noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- 1A red pigment present in madder root, used in dyeing.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: C14H8O4
- Indigo is now derived from naphthalene, and anthracene yields alizarin, the dye formerly obtained from madder root.
- The synthesis of alizarin stands as a landmark in molecule making for two reasons.
- Red lakes made from synthetic alizarin became common alongside the lakes derived from natural madder dyes.
- 1.1 [as modifier] Denoting dyes derived from or similar to alizarin: alizarin crimsonMore example sentences
- These works combined several shades of white paint in built-up layers of greasy petal-like strokes that were punctuated with dots of ultramarine or alizarin crimson.
- His palette drew from nature: heavy, dense ochers, browns, taupes and alizarin crimson.
- The left side of this work is mysterious, with black marks floating on a field of alizarin crimson.
mid 19th century: from French alizarine, from alizari 'madder', from Arabic al-‘iṣāra 'pressed juice', from ‘aṣara 'to press fruit'.
More definitions of alizarinDefinition of alizarin in:
- The US English dictionary