Having the properties of an alkali, or containing alkali; having a pH greater than 7: an alkaline soil a slightly alkaline solution Often contrasted with acidic and basic.
More example sentences
- Liquid bleach used in the laundry is an alkaline solution of hypochlorite ion.
- The wood chips are placed in the digester and are cooked in a highly corrosive alkaline solution.
- The precipitate is then treated with acetic acid and an alkaline material.
- More example sentences
- Loss of carbon dioxide increases alkalinity and causes a slight diminution in the protein content of the egg.
- Precipitating water softeners increase alkalinity of the cleaning solution and this may damage skin and other materials being cleaned.
- Its mild alkalinity works to turn up fatty acids contained in dirt and grease into a form of soap that can be dissolved in water and rinsed easily.
Definition of alkaline in:
- The US English dictionary