Definition of alkaline in English:
Having the properties of an alkali, or containing alkali; having a pH greater than 7: an alkaline soil a slightly alkaline solution Often contrasted with acidic and basic.
More example sentences
- Liquid bleach used in the laundry is an alkaline solution of hypochlorite ion.
- The wood chips are placed in the digester and are cooked in a highly corrosive alkaline solution.
- The precipitate is then treated with acetic acid and an alkaline material.
- Example sentences
- Loss of carbon dioxide increases alkalinity and causes a slight diminution in the protein content of the egg.
- Precipitating water softeners increase alkalinity of the cleaning solution and this may damage skin and other materials being cleaned.
- Its mild alkalinity works to turn up fatty acids contained in dirt and grease into a form of soap that can be dissolved in water and rinsed easily.
Definition of alkaline in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan