- Any of the series of saturated hydrocarbons including methane, ethane, propane, and higher members.
More example sentences
- Alkanes have the general formula: CnH2n+2
- This method of production is still used although oxidation of methane, pyrolysis of alkanes, and cracking of hydrocarbons are more commonly encountered.
- Because the salts of these ions and the alkane sulfonates and alkyl hydrogen sulfates are largely water soluble, the detergent remains dispersed in the water.
- Furthermore, there was no evidence of ethyl esters, dimers, alkanes or alkenes, which might be expected for an oxidative reaction.
More definitions of alkaneDefinition of alkane in:
- The US English dictionary