verb[with object] (usually as adjective alkylating or alkylated) Chemistry
Introduce an alkyl radical into (a compound): alkylating agents
More example sentences
- Chemical mutagens are classified as alkylating agents, cross-linking agents, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
- Two men discovered that in the presence of Lewis acids (such as aluminum chloride or ferric chloride), alkyl halides will alkylate benzenes.
- The major categories are alkylating agents, antimetabolites, plant alkaloids, anti-tumor antibiotics, and steroid hormones.
- Example sentences
- Important synthetic methodology also exists for the alkylation of enolate ions.
- These reactions occur via acylation or alkylation and are often rapid, forming stable primary amide or secondary amine bonds.
- Likewise the mustard nitrogen of chlorambucil should not be covalently joined to antibody, since it must be free to generate the toxic aziridinium ion responsible for DNA alkylation.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: al¦kyl|ate
Definition of alkylate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.