Definition of allopatric in English:
1(Of animals or plants, especially of related species or populations) occurring in separate non-overlapping geographical areas. Compare with sympatric.
- Some zoogeographic species consist of two or more related populations that are allopatric in distribution (geographically separate) and are inferred to be reproductively isolated from each other.
- Biological species status is more complex, and application of the biological species concept to allopatric populations is problematic.
- Patterns of diversity of beech in Europe are not complicated by the existence of interfertile species, except for the presence of an allopatric related beech species in Asia minor.
1.1(Of speciation) taking place as a result of allopatric separation.
- If most speciation is allopatric, what would we expect to see in terms of the fossil record?
- In the classic case of allopatric speciation, gene flow is eliminated completely because of a geographic barrier.
- I have no competence to debate his scientific ideas - if speciation is mostly allopatric, or if it is sympatric, or something else, that is not a philosophical matter.
- Example sentences
- Second, differentiation may have evolved in allopatry following long-distance dispersal of ‘founder’ individuals across pre-existing barriers.
- In general, sizes of island individuals are approximately intermediate in size between those in the region of origin (where they are sympatric and small) and those in the region of allopatry.
- For instance, positive correlations between size and dominance were evident among juvenile Atlantic salmon and brown trout when the two species were in allopatry but not when they were living sympatrically.
Definition of allopatric in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan