- 1Allowed, especially within a set of regulations; permissible: the loan deal has been extended to the maximum allowable three monthsMore example sentences
permissible, permitted, allowed, admissible, acceptable, legal, lawful, legitimate, licit, within the law, authorized, sanctioned, sanctionable, approved, above board, within accepted bounds, passable, tolerated, tolerable, proper, all right, in order; excusable, pardonable, venial
- John would know exactly the parameters on what would be allowable.
- Here, its application is intended to provide the information necessary to define maximum, allowable levels of mercury in Everglades food webs.
- The baler density setting should be set to its maximum allowable position.
- 2British (Of an amount of money) able to be earned or received free of tax: tax is payable after deduction of allowable expensesMore example sentences
- He said the Government had offered them the maximum rates allowable.
- According to the Costs Grid, an hourly rate of up to $400 is allowable for costs on a substantial indemnity scale.
- In an honest attempt to fund their retirement accounts, many individuals contribute amounts in excess of the allowable limits.
- More example sentences
- Like the vicar and the Ministry of Defence, she has a prejudiced viewpoint (allowably so).
- It is true there are some senses in which we may allowably talk of the Visible and Invisible Church.
- They are also replete with helpful information regarding what kinds of articles may allowably be given to prisoners, prisoners’ rights, and complaint procedures.