- 1A succulent plant with a rosette of thick tapering leaves and bell-shaped or tubular flowers on long stems, native to the Old World.
More example sentences
- Genus Aloe, family Liliaceae (or Aloaceae)
- The planters use aloes and other succulent plants that are able to survive under different kinds of environmental conditions.
- The leaf of the aloe plant contains 12 different vitamins and 20 different minerals as part of its 200 active compounds.
- It's a tiny piece of lawn ringed with a bed of alyssum, purple wandering jew groundcover, aloes, wild garlic and other assorted plants.
- 1.1 (aloes or bitter aloes) [mass noun] A strong laxative obtained from the bitter juice of various kinds of aloe.More example sentences
- As far as I know I've never smelled bitter aloes but the name suggests the smell I have in mind.
- At low doses, bitter aloes stimulate digestion, and at higher doses, they are a laxative and a purgative.
- He may be a gourmand, and an epicure, but even bitter aloes may be placed on his tongue.
- 2 (also aloes wood) [mass noun] The fragrant heartwood of a tropical Asian tree.
More example sentences
- The tree belongs to the genus Aquilaria, family Thymelaeaceae, in particular A. agallocha
- We would like to see important products, like sago, rattan, and aloe wood being protected for future use, and the area that we set aside for production use could be used by logging companies if proper agreements can be made.
- It's the middleman who used to buy Sam's aloe wood; Sam still owes him 6,000 baht for helping pay his poaching fine.
- Galster walks up to the owner, a middle-aged Iraqi with a clipped rectangular mustache, and explains that he wants to export aloe wood to the United States.
- 2.1The resin obtained from aloes wood, used in perfume, incense, and medicine.More example sentences
- People have known about the medicinal value of aloe for thousands of years.
- Using toner also helps combat oil buildup (Olay's contains witch hazel and aloe, so it won't dry out your skin).
- The foundation (which comes in nine shades) and the concealer (three shades) go on smoothly and absorb excess oil, but they also have soothing aloe and chamomile to reduce redness around breakouts.
Old English alewe, alwe (denoting the fragrant resin or heartwood of certain oriental trees), via Latin from Greek aloē; reinforced in late Middle English by Old French aloes 'aloe', hence frequently used in the plural.
More definitions of aloeDefinition of aloe in:
- The US English dictionary