noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A drug of the benzodiazepine group, used in the treatment of anxiety.More example sentences
- Use of fast-acting, short half-life benzodiazepines such as alprazolam and lorazepam should be avoided.
- The doctor is correct that long-term use of anti-anxiety drugs like alprazolam, diazepam or lorazepam can cause dependency.
- Tranquillisers such as alprazolam can help reduce anxiety if this is a symptom of PMS, but they should not be used in the long term.
1970s: from al- of unknown origin + p(henyl) + (t)r(i)azol(e) + (-azep)am.
More definitions of alprazolamDefinition of alprazolam in:
- The US English dictionary