noun[mass noun] • formal
- The state of being other or different; otherness: the problem of alterity occurs also in homogeneous societiesMore example sentences
- The dialectical view, built on the inevitable production of alterity and the necessarily differential structure of language, entails predictable consequences.
- In my terminology otherness or alterity is definitional, and specifically polar (the two terms of a polar opposition are jointly exhaustive and mutually exclusive).
- Then, the essay explains that the public sphere of early print is founded on alterity, on Otherness, on the non-English and even the anti-English.
mid 17th century: from late Latin alteritas, from alter 'other'.
More definitions of alterityDefinition of alterity in:
- The US English dictionary