(abbreviation: AC or ac)
- An electric current that reverses its direction many times a second at regular intervals, typically used in power supplies. Compare with direct current.More example sentences
- LED lights require a transformer to turn alternating current to direct current.
- The company built a new mill and contracted with the Telluride Power and Transmission Company at Ames to supply electricity as an alternating current to both the mine and mill.
- In any case Edison's technique was limited by his insistence on using direct current, rather than the standard alternating current that soon took its place when the advantages were recognized.
More definitions of alternating currentDefinition of alternating current in:
- The US English dictionary