- A fuel other than petrol or diesel for powering motor vehicles, such as natural gas, methanol, or electricity: alternative fuels have gained ground [mass noun]: vehicles running on alternative fuelMore example sentences
- In the late '80s and early '90s methanol was the alternative fuel of choice.
- As an alternative fuel, ‘bio-diesel’ is derived from canola, soy, corn, sunflower, etc.
- Even the way cars are powered has changed with the recent rise of diesel cars as well as LPG and other alternative fuels.
More definitions of alternative fuelDefinition of alternative fuel in:
- The US English dictionary