- 1A mixture or blend: a curious amalgam of the traditional and the modernMore example sentences
- More than 50 years ago, writer Carey Williams described LA as ‘a curious amalgam of all America’.
- In fact, what we're getting on November 30 is a curious amalgam of the reactionary and the progressive.
- A curious amalgam of straight history and political pamphlet, it was relatively little read in antiquity, and its modern status has declined in recent years.
- 1.1 Chemistry An alloy of mercury with another metal, especially one used for dental fillings: [as modifier]: amalgam fillingsMore example sentences
- Another use of silver alloys is in dental amalgams.
- Depending upon the decorative nature of his work, he may also have known how to gild metals with an amalgam of mercury and gold.
- Very small amounts of mercury collect in our bodies from a number of sources including the environment, our food and our amalgam fillings.
late 15th century: from French amalgame or medieval Latin amalgama, from Greek malagma 'an emollient'.