- In another key component, the band sponsored a female athlete and an amateur in each sport.
- Last year, junior rider Kate Hart beat the professionals and the top amateurs to earn the victory.
- So first off it was probably the top club juniors, then the top amateurs, then, I guess, guys like Faldo and Clarke.
- Pongratz speaks with admiration of the young performers in this production, no bunch of amateurs.
- It's also a celebration of the passion for worshipping incompetent amateurs.
- Owen is a journalist, Mara a novelist, and his contempt at having what he sees as an amateur on his patch is made blindingly obvious.
- The war dominates the lives of an enthusiastic band of amateur archaeologists known as the Diggers.
- In the absence of payment, amateur reviewers write overwhelmingly about topics they love.
- He believes the archaeological trust has a major educational role to play - for professional and amateur archaeologists alike.
- It was a clumsy amateur agent who was foolish enough to allow himself to be detected.
- The content may be excellent, but it is totally obscured by an amateur and clumsy overuse of computerised publishing.
- Some of the attempts were amateur and romantically inept.
- Example sentences
- I was a little confused and don't know whether that was professionalism or pure amateurism.
- Howman feels that amateurism should not be an issue.
- Heroic amateurism has always been Cook's style.
Late 18th century: from French, from Italian amatore, from Latin amator 'lover', from amare 'to love'.
An amateur does something for love rather than for money. Borrowed from French in the 18th century, and ultimately from Latin amator ‘lover’, it was originally used to describe a person who loves or is fond of something. Later on it came to be used of a person who practises an art or sport as a hobby, rather than professionally, and also of someone who is inept at a particular activity. Compare aficionado
Words that rhyme with amateurshamateur
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.