Definition of amide in English:
1An organic compound containing the group —C(O)NH2, derived from ammonia by replacement of a hydrogen atom by an acyl group.
- Secondary and tertiary amides are prepared by reacting primary amides or nitriles with organic acids.
- The resulting ester was saponified under basic conditions to the free acid, converted to the acyl chloride with thionyl chloride, and then to the amide with anhydrous ammonia gas.
- The ester functional group can also be split by ammonia to give amides and alcohols.
1.1A compound derived from ammonia by replacement of a hydrogen atom by a metal, containing the anion NH2−: [with modifier]: sodium amide
More example sentences
- On the other hand, the permeability of the membrane for small uncharged solutes such as low molecular weight alcohols, amides, ketones etc., did not change.
- Nitriles are formed by heating amides with phosphorous pentoxide or by treating organic halogen compounds with sodium cyanide.
- Primary amides are weakly basic and can form compounds with metals such as sodium, potassium, mercury, and cadmium, although heavy metal amides can be explosive.
Definition of amide in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan