- A simple organic compound containing both a carboxyl (—COOH) and an amino (—NH2) group: [as modifier]: the amino-acid sequence of a proteinMore example sentences
- Two known enzymes catabolize the essential amino acid tryptophan in mammals.
- To tackle this problem a variety of approaches have been developed to predict the three-dimensional structure of a protein given its amino-acid sequence.
- The simplest amino acid is glycine which contains a hydrogen atom as its side group.
Amino acids occur naturally in plant and animal tissues and form the basic constituents of proteins. There are about twenty common amino acids, of which the simplest is glycine (H2NCH2COOH)
More definitions of amino acidDefinition of amino acid in:
- The US English dictionary