noun (plural amnions or amnia)
- The innermost membrane that encloses the embryo of a mammal, bird, or reptile.More example sentences
- Inside the egg are a series of fluid-filled membranes which permit the embryo to survive: the amnion, allantois, yolk sac, and chorion.
- The middle part of the streak gives rise mainly to lateral plate mesoderm, while the posterior part of the streak provides the extra-embryonic mesoderm of the amnion, visceral yolk sac, and allantois.
- We're talking about things like the amnion, the chorion, the allantoic sac, the placenta, the umbilical cord, if those words sound familiar to you.
mid 17th century: from Greek, 'caul', diminutive of amnos 'lamb'.
More definitions of amnionDefinition of amnion in:
- The US English dictionary