(US also ameba)
Definition of amoeba in English:
noun (plural amoebas or amoebae əˈmiːbiː)
A single-celled animal which catches food and moves about by extending finger-like projections of protoplasm. Amoebas are either free-living in damp environments or parasitic.
- Many families and genera in the phylum Rhizopoda, kingdom Protista, including the aquatic Amoeba proteus
- Pheromones are widespread in the animal world, from the single-celled amoeba to human beings.
- Contact with protozoa, the tremendously varied group of more sophisticated single-celled microbes that includes amoeba and paramecium, has also been greatly reduced in the developed world by water and food treatment measures.
- The virus lives in single-celled organisms called amoebae and may be able to infect humans.
- Example sentences
- Fever is the presenting symptom in 10 to 15 percent of patients, and therefore amebic abscess should be considered in patients with a fever of unknown origin.
- Elsewhere, amoebic abscesses are more common, and, worldwide, amoebae are the commonest cause.
- If you develop an amoebic liver abscess and have not responded well to antibiotic treatment after seven days, or there is a high risk that the abscess may rupture, your doctor may suggest a small operation to drain the abscess.
- Example sentences
- Capable of ameboid movement, these cells wander throughout the connective tissue and congregate in regions requiring their specialized function.
- Then, a bridge-like conjugation tube is formed to connect neighboring cells, and the amoeboid cells from one filament move over into the neighboring filament.
- In these he developed a highly distinctive repertoire of weird subjects - strange amoeboid creatures, insects, and plants with human heads - influenced by the writings of Edgar Allan Poe.
Definition of amoeba in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan