Definition of amyloid in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
1A starch-like protein which is deposited in the liver, kidneys, spleen, or other tissues in certain diseases.
- Amyloidosis occurs when the protein amyloid is deposited in the kidneys under conditions other than ordinary.
- Hiapp belongs to the group of amyloidogenic proteins, characterized by their aggregation and deposition as fibrillar amyloid in various body tissues.
- This case is unique because of the massive deposition of amyloid in the spleen, adrenal gland, and liver.
1.1 another term for amyloidosis. a bewildering illness eventually diagnosed as amyloid of the kidneys
More example sentences
- Bronchiolar diseases and amyloid and malignant lymphoma were seen less frequently.
- Among four cases with primary pulmonary lymphoma, amyloid was observed in three cases as a minor finding.
- The first and more predominant structure was a mesh of filaments measuring 10 to 15 nm in diameter, which is typical of amyloid.
Definition of amyloid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan