- 1Relating to or situated near the anus: anal sexMore example sentences
- No cutaneous, ocular, anal, rectal, nasal, or oral mucosal lesions were demonstrated on thorough physical examination.
- It is girdled by the external anal sphincter, a striated muscle structure that is part of the pelvic floor musculature.
- The diagnosis is made by examining the anus and anal canal, and it is important to exclude more serious causes of bleeding, such as colorectal cancer.
- 1.1 Psychoanalysis (In Freudian theory) relating to or denoting a stage of infantile psychosexual development in which defecation is the major source of sensuous pleasure and the anus forms the centre of self-awareness.More example sentences
- It could be demonstrated that creative thinking in science is closely connected with a specific reparation mechanism common in the anal stage of development.
- Or we can think of the anal stage of development as an attempt to control biological urges with the new surging power of symbolic meaning and mastery.
- On the psychic level, as I have tried to demonstrate by analyzing the central joke as if it were a highly condensed, overdetermined dream image, it involves a regression to the anal stage.
- 1.2 • informal Anal-retentive: he’s anal about things like thatMore example sentences
- As with other aspects of my life, I'm capable of being rather anal about pleasure: I will go here, I will do such-and such, with so-and-so, and I will enjoy myself.
- We all know about wishful thinking, about denial and defence mechanisms, repression, narcissism, Freudian slips and the anal personality.
- I am simply not anal or autistic enough to beat the people who really love this game.
- More example sentences
- The band's preferred method of crafting their uptemp tunes involves intense collaboration and consolidation of the best parts, chosen in almost anally democratic rounds of ayes and nays.
- I'm sure that this is closely related to my anally retentive attitude towards employing proper grammar and complete English words, without ever resorting to the dreaded ‘text speak’.
- I've always been this sort of person who thinks ahead, anally breaking the years up into three or four year segments and thinking about what each segment would contain, I would compartmentalise my life into challenges.
mid 18th century: from modern Latin analis, from Latin anus (see anus).
More definitions of analDefinition of anal in:
- The US English dictionary