Definition of anamorphosis in English:
noun (plural anamorphosesˌanəˈmɔːfəsiːz)
1A distorted projection or drawing which appears normal when viewed from a particular point or with a suitable mirror or lens.
- In these pages the ‘rude mechanicals’ are revealed, and the landscape suffers under their repetitious and certain anamorphoses.
- Each has its own angle, as the phrase goes, or slant - the calculated warp or distortion of a perspective; they are, in effect, more like anamorphoses than representations of the object to which they are applied.
- It is easy to read the death's head in The Ambassadors purely as an exercise in negation, particularly since the anamorphosis so unsettles one's sense of reality.
1.1 [mass noun] The process by which anamorphic images are produced.
- A torsion typical of anamorphosis twists the image, crumples it and alters it, attempting to introduce the eccentrical into the field of view.
- Recognising the fluidity and occasional capriciousness of perception, Leonardo delighted in it, contriving not only rebuses or visual puns, but also optical illusions and even demonstrations of anamorphosis.
- Indeed, a Double Head of a Fool from a century later by Jacob van der Heyden shows that fools, too, could be subjects of anamorphosis.
Early 18th century: from Greek anamorphōsis 'transformation', from ana- 'back, again' + morphosis 'a shaping' (from morphoun 'to shape', from morphē 'shape, form').
- Example sentences
- The colours of the anamorphic landscape on the lid of the virginals also appear very bleached in the photograph.
- The anamorphic rendition shows occasional print damage, but few if any digital artifacts.
- The technical failings of the anamorphic lens can be surmounted, but the aesthetics of a wide frame cannot be altered.
Words that rhyme with anamorphosismetamorphosis
Definition of anamorphosis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan