Definition of anencephalic in English:
Having part or all of the cerebral hemispheres and the rear of the skull congenitally absent.
- It can uncover 90 percent of anencephalic pregnancies and 80 percent of spina bifida cases.
- In a Finnish study, mothers of anencephalic children were more likely than matched control patients to remember having a cold in the first trimester of pregnancy.
- Brazil expanded its abortion law July 1, allowing the abortion of anencephalic children - children with no brain.
nounBack to top
An anencephalic fetus or infant.
- The excess was most pronounced for the subgroup of anencephalics, in which prevalence increased 5-fold.
- An individual who is in a ‘persistent vegetative state,’ an irreversible deep coma, fits this description, as do infants born with no cerebral cortex (anencephalics).
- Example sentences
- In anencephaly, a fatal neural tube defect, the brain and skull are grossly underdeveloped.
- Rarely, postterm pregnancy may be associated with placental sulfatase deficiency or fetal anencephaly.
- A detailed analysis revealed no indication of a systematic increase in the prevalence of Down's syndrome, anencephaly, or spina bifida.
Definition of anencephalic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan