Definition of angiosperm in English:
A plant of a large group that comprises those that have flowers and produce seeds enclosed within a carpel, including herbaceous plants, shrubs, grasses, and most trees. Compare with gymnosperm.
- Subdivision Angiospermae, division Spermatophyta
- Like other seed plants, angiosperms are heterosporangiate, producing pollen and ovules in different organs.
- Were the first angiosperms woody trees and shrubs, or were they small herbs?
- A great variation in endosperm size is observed within angiosperms.
- Example sentences
- Amber is the hardened resin of coniferous and angiospermous trees.
- His contention was that angiospermous remains could not have occurred earlier than the Tertiary.
- Five angiospermous fossil woods of Late Tertiary have been excavated from Xinzhow County, Hubei Province.
Definition of angiosperm in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia