A plant of a large group that comprises those that have flowers and produce seeds enclosed within a carpel, including herbaceous plants, shrubs, grasses, and most trees. Compare with gymnosperm.
- Subdivision Angiospermae, division Spermatophyta.
- Like other seed plants, angiosperms are heterosporangiate, producing pollen and ovules in different organs.
- Were the first angiosperms woody trees and shrubs, or were they small herbs?
- A great variation in endosperm size is observed within angiosperms.
- Example sentences
- Amber is the hardened resin of coniferous and angiospermous trees.
- His contention was that angiospermous remains could not have occurred earlier than the Tertiary.
- Five angiospermous fossil woods of Late Tertiary have been excavated from Xinzhow County, Hubei Province.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: angio|sperm
Definition of angiosperm in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.